The Moore American


December 4, 2013

Daughter upset with news of family moving

MOORE — Q: We’ve just gotten notification that my husband is being transferred to another state. Our oldest daughter is devastated because she doesn’t want to leave her school and friends.

We’re considering letting her stay with her grandmother to finish the last three years of high school to keep peace in the family. Her grandmother is completely fine with this. Have you had any experience with this type of situation?

— Penny and Rick, Oklahoma City

Dear Penny and Rick,

We understand how difficult it is for kids to be moved during a school year.

Before you and your family make this tough decision, here is one thing that needs to be considered — you would need to grant legal guardianship to the grandmother. This involves an attorney and the expenses associated with it.

Since your daughter is a minor, medical care and enrollment in schools are both handled by the legal guardian. Without guardianship, the grandmother would be unable to accomplish either of these things.

You might call the new school and have a conversation with the guidance counselor. See if a visit could be arranged where a tour and introductions to a few peers with similar interests would be possible. This may help alleviate many of her fears and anxieties.

Good luck with this difficult decision. Try to remember that you are the parent and know what’s best for your daughter. We have dealt with lots of new students who ended up loving the change once they gave it a chance.

Q: Neither my husband nor I know one thing about registering with the NCAA. Our son is a sophomore and a fairly good golfer and will go to college wherever he can get a scholarship. Do you know anything about this? We’re lost.

— Sandy,

Oklahoma City

Text Only
Hyperlocal Search
Premier Guide
Find a business

Walking Fingers
Maps, Menus, Store hours, Coupons, and more...
Premier Guide