The Moore American

December 4, 2013

Daughter upset with news of family moving

The Moore American

MOORE — Q: We’ve just gotten notification that my husband is being transferred to another state. Our oldest daughter is devastated because she doesn’t want to leave her school and friends.

We’re considering letting her stay with her grandmother to finish the last three years of high school to keep peace in the family. Her grandmother is completely fine with this. Have you had any experience with this type of situation?

— Penny and Rick, Oklahoma City

Dear Penny and Rick,

We understand how difficult it is for kids to be moved during a school year.

Before you and your family make this tough decision, here is one thing that needs to be considered — you would need to grant legal guardianship to the grandmother. This involves an attorney and the expenses associated with it.

Since your daughter is a minor, medical care and enrollment in schools are both handled by the legal guardian. Without guardianship, the grandmother would be unable to accomplish either of these things.

You might call the new school and have a conversation with the guidance counselor. See if a visit could be arranged where a tour and introductions to a few peers with similar interests would be possible. This may help alleviate many of her fears and anxieties.

Good luck with this difficult decision. Try to remember that you are the parent and know what’s best for your daughter. We have dealt with lots of new students who ended up loving the change once they gave it a chance.

Q: Neither my husband nor I know one thing about registering with the NCAA. Our son is a sophomore and a fairly good golfer and will go to college wherever he can get a scholarship. Do you know anything about this? We’re lost.

— Sandy,

Oklahoma City

Dear Sandy,

Hopefully we can help. Before we tell you what we know, please make sure you also visit with your son’s coach and/or his schoolor district’s athletic director. They also should be able to give you good information regarding the NCAA Clearinghouse.

Beginning with the graduating class of 2016, the requirements have changed. Student athletes will be required to have a 2.3 GPA (up from a 2.0) in their 32 semesters of core coursework. A sliding scale is used, so the higher the GPA, the lower the ACT score can be.

All four subject scores from the ACT are added together. For example, with an exact 2.3 GPA, an athlete would need a 76 from all subjects on the ACT to be a “full qualifier.”

Colleges usually want to know the composite ACT score for admission purposes, but it’s slightly different for the NCAA.

You need to register your son. Any high school student who is planning on playing any level of college sport must register through this website, It will have a link for registration. It offers a plethora of information. There is also a fee for registering — somewhere around $70.

Congratulations on having a gifted athlete in the family.

Please send questions to Sally and Jeannie are certified school counselors with more than 50 years combined educational experience. The responses presented don’t necessarily reflect the views of any certain school district.