The Moore American

Local News

June 18, 2013

Storm-damaged home burns

MOORE — A residence at 851 Cardan Place in Moore’s Plaza Towers subdivision burned on Friday afternoon. Moore Fire Chief Gary Bird said smoke was already visible from Fire Station 1 when engines deployed.

“It was fully involved when we arrived,” Bird said.

Tornado damage to the home created multiple openings in the structure, allowing air to further fuel the fire.

Bird said the fire department has had no contact with the owner and no one was injured in the fire. The owner did not appear to be on the scene.

Flames leapt from the center of the roof as black smoke billowed into the sky above the tornado-damaged neighborhood. An RV on its side still rests in the home’s front yard.

The neighborhood is just north of the Plaza Towers Elementary school, which was destroyed in the May 20 tornado. The fire ate through the roof and apparently gutted the structure.

Firefighters connected hoses to hydrants still surrounded by tornado debris as they pumped high volumes of water onto the residence.

“We brought water in from two directions,” Bird said. “We may have had some low pressure due to valves being shut down, but we did have water.”

Bird said the full engagement of the structure fire when firefighters arrived made water pressure a moot point. The structure appears to be a total loss, he said.

To one side of the fire-engulfed home another home lay in ruins, apparently destroyed by the tornado. The home on the opposite side appeared to have sustained only minor tornado damage, and Moore firefighters battled to keep the blaze from spreading.

Moore responded with full equipment, including ladder trucks and pumpers. The photographer on the scene said the fire appeared to have started in the center of the home, and the roof had collapsed.

Records available online through the Cleveland County Assessor’s Office describe the home as a three-bedroom, 1,258 square feet house built in 1971. Homestead exemption and lack of a sale record indicate the home was likely owned and occupied by the same family since its construction.

Bird said there is “nothing suspicious at this time,” regarding the fire.

No firefighters were injured.

“They’re a little bit hot, but they’re all right,” Bird said.

1
Text Only
Local News
Hyperlocal Search
Premier Guide
Find a business

Walking Fingers
Maps, Menus, Store hours, Coupons, and more...
Premier Guide