The Moore American

November 6, 2013

Jaguars pound depleted Eagles 56-14 at home

By Michael Kinney
The Moore American

MOORE — It would have been easy for Westmoore to overlook Tulsa Edison. After a dramatic overtime victory last week and a crucial district match next week, the Eagles could have come to Moore Stadium on Friday and put a scare into the Jaguars.

However, that was not the case. Westmoore made quick work of the Tulsa squad on its way to a 56-14 victory.

“Us as coaches we learned a lesson through the years, you don’t overlook anybody,” Westmoore coach Billy Langford said. “So we are trying to impress that on (our players) daily. Especially when you get in a game like this. Our kids responded.”

Westmoore (8-1, 5-1 District 6A-2) dominated the contest in all phases of the game. The combination of Kieron Hardrick and AJ Oliver combined for 203 yards rushing while Bryson Lee threw for three touchdowns and 178 yards.

Yet, it was the Jags’ special teams that delivered the first blow when Matt Day blocked an Eagles’ punt and Westmoore took over on the 19-yard line. The next play Bryson Lee threw a touchdown pass to Hardrick to put the Jaguars on the board.

On the next possession, Lee found Dahu Green for a 41-yard score to give the Jags an early 14-0 lead.

The Eagles (4-5, 1-5) didn’t get their first play for positive yards until their third possession. Yet, even then, they still had to punt and Westmoore’s Lexus Lee returned the ball to the Eagles’ 11-yard line. That set up a Bryson Lee touchdown run.

“I did pretty good,” said Bryson Lee, who didn’t play last week due to a concussion. “There were a couple of passes I left out on the field. But overall, I think I did pretty well.”

Trailing 28-0 to start the second quarter, the Eagles finally got their offense moving. Akylen Mayfield was moved to quarterback and he took the team on a 9-minute drive. Tulsa didn’t score, but managed to pin Westmoore at its own 10-yard line.

Lee then threw a pass that was picked off by the Eagles’ Deevon Williams who ran it back for a touchdown. The Jags’ lead was cut to 28-7.

Hardrick quickly got the points back when he took a screen pass 60 yards untouched for a TD. Westmoore led 35-7 at halftime.

Hardrick finished with 182 all purpose yards and three touchdowns.

“Our key was just to execute like we always do,” Hardrick said. “And get big plays. Start off big, then have them hang their heads and give up.”

The second half didn’t start perfectly for the Jaguars as Jake Bennett fumbled the opening kick-off and the Eagles recovered on the 33-yard line.

Edison moves the ball to the Jags’ 13-yard line. Instead of Tulsa cashing in on the prime field position, Westmoore forced a fumble and recovered it. The Jaguars then drove down the field and ended the drive with Hardrick reaching the end zone for the third time.

Cornerback Kiante Channel put the game out of reach with a 25-yard fumble return for a touchdown on the Eagles’ ensuing possession. It was his first career touchdown.

Now the Jaguars will get set to take on Broken Arrow Friday at Moore Stadium. The contest will decide the No. 2 spot in District 6A-2 and a home playoff game. That is why it was so important for the Jags to take care of the Eagles.

“It was big for us just to get another W and get us rolling into Broken Arrow next week, which is a big game for us,” Bryson Lee said. “We just have to look at it one week at a time.”

Michael Kinney Follow me @eyeamtruth