STILLWATER, Okla. — A Stillwater man who had four charges connected to a domestic violence case dismissed in December, is again facing a charge of domestic violence in Payne County District Court. Devin Tereze Thompson, 21, of Stillwater, is accused of trespassing into a relative’s home, interfering with a 911 call and throwing a cellphone at an older relative of his, causing a bruise and cut to her eye.

In September of 2018, Thompson was charged with three counts of assault with a dangerous weapon and one count of kidnapping after being accused of threatening and holding an ex-girlfriend and her friends against their will with a gun at a Stillwater apartment building. Thompson pleaded not guilty in October. Witnesses were subpoenaed in November, but the case was dropped at the request of the State in December.

Thompson is now accused of entering uninvited into the home where his grandmother and great aunt were, injuring one of them and preventing her from making a 9-1-1 call. According to a probably cause affidavit, police were dispatched June 23 to a call of a physical domestic dispute. A woman there said Thompson came in uninvited asking where his gun was. When the woman replied she did not know, an argument started and Thompson was asked to leave. One of the women said she was going to call the police, and picked up her cellphone to call 911, when Thompson grabbed it from her hand and started to leave the residence.

According to the report, the woman then grabbed a golf club for self defense, then tried to grab the cellphone from his hand, as the two wrestled over it for a bit of time. The affidavit reads that Thompson then wound up as if throwing a baseball, and threw the phone at the woman, hitting her in the head near her left eye and temple. The two people who entered the home with Thompson pulled him away, saying they needed to leave before police showed up. The three then left the residence in a black pickup.

The officer said he observed the woman he spoke with as having "a very swollen left eye" with a small cut in the middle.

The officer writes that he was told by one of the women that Thompson had been arrested twice recently for trespassing at the residence, occurring on May 28 and June 15. In May, Thompson pleaded guilty to an assault with a dangerous weapon charge that stemmed from a November 2016 arrest. He received a deferred sentence that included credit for time served in Payne County jail and supervision that included drug screening and a workforce program. Thompson, on June 16, posted bond on a misdemeanor charge of trespassing that is still working its way through the court system. He also faces a misdemeanor charge of assault in the May 28 case. He was released on a personal recognizance bond in that case.

Thompson was charged on Tuesday with assault and battery with a dangerous weapon, punishable by up to 10 years in prison or up to one year in county jail, and by a fine of up to $10,000. He was also charged with interfering with an emergency call, punishable by a fine of $3,000 and or one year in county jail, and trespassing after being forbidden, which is punishable by up to 10 days in jail and a fine of up to $250. No arrests have been made in this case.

Yale man charged with domestic assault by attempted strangulation

A Yale man, Brian Copeland, 27, was charged on Thursday for domestic assault by attempted strangulation after allegedly putting his hands around the neck of a woman while she was breastfeeding a 4-month old infant.

A written affidavit reads that officers responded to Atwoods in Cushing, and found Copeland sitting in a vehicle in the parking lot. Copeland told officers that he had grabbed the woman’s arm after she had tried to go into the store, and said he did so because the woman was trying to leave with the 4-month old. He said he did not hit the woman and only grabbed her arm.

Officers then spoke with the woman inside the store, and she said she was breastfeeding the infant when she and Copeland began arguing. She said Copeland grabbed her by the hair and pulled her to him, and put both hands around her neck, making it hard for her to breath. She said Copeland then slapped her the right side of her face with an open hand. The officer writes that the woman said Copeland then let her go, and she got out of the vehicle and ran to the store screaming for help.

The officer noticed multiple red marks on the woman’s neck and redness on the right side of her face. The officer then spoke again with Copeland and he said he only grabbed her by her shoulder and did not hit her. The officer writes he then placed Copeland under arrest and he was transported to Cushing Police Department’s jail.

Domestic assault and battery by attempted strangulation is punishable by not less than one year nor more than three years, or by a fine of $3,000 or both. He will appear next in court on July 25.


This Week's Circulars