Oklahoma’s season opener will unveil a lot, mainly a new quarterback and defense.
And what a setting: Houston visits Owen Field in a rare Sunday night opener in Norman.
Here’s what you should know about the Cougars:
• Who: Houston (0-0) at Oklahoma (0-0)
• Kickoff: 6:30 p.m. Sunday
• Where: Gaylord Family-Oklahoma Memorial Stadium
• TV: ABC
• Radio: KRXO-FM 107.7
• Perspective: Houston’s 33-23 win over OU in 2016 was just the Sooners’ second season-opening loss since 2005. … Houston QB D’Eriq King (Manvel) and OU QB Jalen Hurts (Channelview) played each other in high school. King’s squad won 72-21 in a playoff meeting that ended Hurts’ high school career.
3 players to watch
• 4 D’Eriq King (5-11, 195; Sr. QB): King’s size is oddly similar to Kyler Murray’s, and his skill set isn’t too different either. King threw for 2,982 yards and ran for 674 last season.
• 5 Marquez Stevenson (6-0, 190; Jr. WR): He totaled 1,019 receiving yards last year with nine TDs. Keith Corbin (10 TDs) isn’t targeted as much but is dangerous near the end zone.
• 21 Patrick Carr (5-10, 205; Jr. RB): If Kyle Porter, a transfer from Texas, doesn’t steal the starting spot, expect to see a lot of Carr (868 yards, 5 TDs last season) in the backfield.